Apply now for summer 2017!
Octavia Project is a FREE intensive summer program where young women from Brooklyn explore their love of science fiction and fantasy through science, tech, art, and writing.
Our program runs from July 6-August 4. We meet four days a week--Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays--from 1pm-4:30pm. Workshops are held at the Pratt Institute MFA in Writing Community Storefront, on Classon Avenue in Brooklyn.
We encourage girls living in the nearby neighborhoods of Bed Stuy, Bushwick, Fort Greene, and Crown Heights to apply. We provide MetroCards to participants to cover travel to and from all workshops.
An Octavia Project participant will finish the program armed with:
- An online multi-media portfolio of her work that can be used for college, job, or internship applications.
- Strengthened skills in digital media, art, and writing, as well as a greater confidence science, technology, engineering, and math.
- Access to a network of professional women and opportunities for fellowships and other leadership opportunities.
Octavia Project Participants are:
- Young women* from Brooklyn who are 13 to 17 years old. (*The Octavia Project welcomes participants who are trans, gender non-conforming, and questioning.)
- Available to attend workshops four days a week, from 1-4:30pm, July 6 - August 4.
- Into science fiction, fantasy, fan-fiction, art, writing, science, tech, gaming—or interested in learning more about these topics!
- Willing to try new things, boldly go where we haven't gone before, and share knowledge with others.
Step 1: Download and complete an application. A completed application includes answers to all questions and a parent/guardian signature in TWO places.
Step 2: Submit your application. Early bird application deadline is April 15. Final application deadline is May 25. Email completed applications to info [at] octaviaproject.org.
Email us at info [at] octaviaproject.org.