Apply now for summer 2018!
The Octavia Project Summer Instituteis a FREE month-long program where young women and trans, nonbinary, or gender non-conforming youth from Brooklyn explore their love of science fiction and fantasy through art, writing, science, and tech projects with a community of creatively-minded peers.
Our Summer Institute runs from July 5 - August 3 with Orientation on July 3. We meet four days a week--Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays--from 1pm-4:30pm. Workshops are held at the Pratt Institute MFA in Writing Community Space, on Classon Avenue in Brooklyn.
We encourage youth living in the nearby neighborhoods of Bed Stuy, Bushwick, Fort Greene, and Crown Heights to apply. We provide MetroCards to participants to cover travel to and from all workshops.
An Octavia Project participant will finish the program armed with:
- A digital portfolio of their work that can be used for college, job, or internship applications.
- Strengthened skills in digital technologies, art, and writing, as well as a greater confidence in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).
- Access to a network of professional women and opportunities for fellowships and other leadership positions.
Octavia Project Participants are:
- Young women and trans, nonbinary, or gender non-conforming youth from Brooklyn who are 13 to 17 years old.
- Available to attend workshops four days a week, from 1-4:30pm, July 5 - August 3, and an orientation on July 3.
- Into science fiction, fantasy, fan-fiction, art, writing, science, tech, gaming—or interested in learning more about these topics!
- Willing to try new things, boldly go where we haven't gone before, and share knowledge with others.
Step 1: Download and complete an application. A completed application includes answers to all questions and a parent/guardian signature in TWO places.
Step 2: Submit your application. Early bird application deadline is
April 15. Final application deadline is June 1. Email completed
applications to info [at] octaviaproject.org. Or, drop off completed applications
Pratt Institute, Dekalb Hall, 2nd Floor
Email us at info [at] octaviaproject.org.