The Octavia Project Summer Instituteis a FREE month-long program where young women and trans, nonbinary, or gender non-conforming youth from Brooklyn explore science fiction and fantasy through art, writing, science, and tech projects with a community of creatively-minded peers.
Our Summer Institute runs from July 2 - August 2. We meet four days a week--Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays--from 1pm-4:30pm. Workshops are held at the Pratt Institute MFA in Writing Community Space, on Classon Avenue in Brooklyn.
We encourage youth living in the nearby neighborhoods of Bed Stuy, Bushwick, Fort Greene, and Crown Heights to apply. We provide MetroCards to participants to cover travel to and from all workshops.
An Octavia Project participant will finish the program armed with:
- An online multi-media portfolio of their work that can be used for college, job, or internship applications.
- Strengthened skills in digital-media, art, and writing, as well as a greater confidence in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).
- Access to a network of professional women and opportunities for fellowships and other leadership positions.
Octavia Project Participants are:
- Young women and trans, nonbinary, and/or gender non-conforming youth from Brooklyn who are 14 to 18 years old.
- Available to attend workshops four days a week, from 1-4:30pm, July 2 - August 2.
- Into science fiction, fantasy, fan-fiction, art, writing, science, tech, gaming—or interested in learning more about these topics!
Please note that our program is currently full. If you would like to be added to our waitlist, please submit an online application.
Email us at enrollment [at] octaviaproject.org.